November 10, 2011

Recommended Picture Books for 1-4 year old kids

Below are some books that were a hit with my son before he learned to profusely use the word "No."

My criteria for choosing a book for him?  One, book should have beautiful illustration. Why? Imagine bedding Ugly every night.  Nuff said.  Two, the story should delight even me.  Darn it, I'll  be reading it to him over and over.  Might as well buy something that amuses me, too!  There are of course other wonderful picture books not listed below that I tried to  'force' my kid to like, but the kid's just stubborn (takes after his dad, I've decided) and had his own opinion.

Some books in the list might be a bit expensive, but the investment has paid off for me - my son learned to read at an early age,  he talks like he's already 30, and he still continues to use these books (sometimes as racetrack for his Hotwheels)  now that he's 5.  You are welcome to add to the list!

A few months old to 2 years old
1.  Pat the Bunny (touch-and-feel book by Dorothy Kunhardt)
2.  Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See (Eric Carle)
3.  I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean (Kevin Sherry)
4.  From Head to Toe (Eric Carle)
5.  One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (Dr. Seuss)
6.  Click, Clack, Moo Cows that Type (Doreen Cronin)

2-4 years old
1.  Pumpkin Eye (Dennie Fleming)
2.  Outside, Inside (Carolyn Crimi)
3.  The Very Hungry Caterpillar (also Count with The Very Hungry Caterpillar both by Eric Carle)
4.  In the Tall, Tall Grass (Denise Fleming)
5.  The Very Busy Spider (Eric Carle)
6.  Harry and the Terrible Whatzit (Dick Gackenbach)
7.  All Join In (Quentin Blake)
8.  My Friend Rabbit (Eric Rohmann)
9.  How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms (and the other How Do Dinosaurs books all by Jane Yolen)
10.  Rosie's Walk (Pat Hutchins)
11.  Dr. Seuss books: Green Eggs and Ham, Fox in Sox, The Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, Oh The Places You'll Go
12.  The Wind Blew (Pat Hutchins)
13.  The Day the Babies Crawled Away (Peggy Rathmann)
14.  I Spy Christmas: A Book of Picture Riddles
15.  My Book About Me (Dr. Seuss & Roy McKie)
16.  The Giving Tree (Shel Silverstein)
17.  Oh Say Can You Say Di-no-saur?  (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
18.  Clown (Quentin Blake)
19.  Piggybook (Anthony Browne)
20.  Diary of a Worm (Doreen Cronin)

1 comment: