September 7, 2007

Color Coded

Pink is for girls, blue is for boys. What's with the color-coding?

A few days ago, I had my son wear a pink jumper. It's one of those Osh-Kosh hand-me-downs from my sister who has a daughter, now 4 years old. My husband reacted to the outfit. Eew. He looks like a girl. The neighbors reacted to the outfit. Eew. He looks like a girl. My yayas said, "Kawawa naman. Mukhang gerl. Oow." Say that again?! He's wearing Osh-Kosh, for gawdsakes! That's more expensive than the 3-for-250 shirts I buy in Greenhills! Hindi siya kawawa 'no!

What's wrong with pink on a baby boy anyway? Mababakla? Kawawa? Oh, pleaaase!

First, do you really think gays are gays because their mothers put them in pink cribs and pink diapers when they were babies? Second, how can a pink jumper on a baby boy make him look pitiful? I didn't notice my baby covering his face in shame when I took him out that day for his usual afternoon stroll. He wasn't hiding from the other babies on the block for fear of being called Baby Bach-lash. HE DOESN'T CARE. Babies don't care about these color stereotypes that adults like Martha Stewart obsess over.

In fact the day that my baby was wearing that pink jumper, I noticed he was more confident; there was a certain bounce in his usual unsteady, awkward first steps (I was holding his hands, of course). Hmm...I guess it's because the jumper matched his lavender bib and yellow stroller...

No comments:

Post a Comment